Welcome to the blog for Embroidered Originals, where I'll keep you up-to-date with all the goings on at our little cottage industry. You can also view our website and shop online at embroideredoriginals.co.uk Marion x



Wednesday 17 June 2009

Sun sand and noisy waves

How to stretch two days into what seems like a week.
Drive 130 odd miles north to Sandend in Moray. That's part of one day - Sunday in this case. Set up the trailer tent practically on the beach and do a bit of exploring and beachcombing.
Then cook a meal on our little stove and eat it washed down with a bottle of red wine while listening to the crashing waves and watching the surfers catch the last of the day's sport before heading home and leaving the campsite nice and quiet for us.
End the day scrambling up to the cliff path at the end of the beach. Cosy bed in the tent while there's still enough daylight to read a few pages then sleep - once you get used to the racket the waves make.
This is the view from the tent.
Wake up not too early next day, wolf down bacon butties and coffee and set off to walk the coastal path in the other direction. Check out a doocot and Findlater Castle - awesome location, then make executive decision to let Bob continue on the walk while I drive round to Cullen and meet him at the other end.
Good decision - as he gets soaked in wet grass which is waist high and I have a glorious time spending a fortune in Puddleduck Patch, Cullen's famous patchwork and quilting shop. It 's difficult to explain to the shop owner, as I stack the fat quarters high, that I'm not actually going to make a quilt with all this fabric but cut it up into thousands of tiny squares, butterflies, baby dress shapes and many more appliques for the cards.
And as I judge that I've spent enough money ( or in fact rather too much) and it should be about the right time to look for my hiking husband, he appears round the corner squelching in his shoes and I allow a smug little smile to myself that once more my intuition pays off.
Once he's dried off we head east for a trip to Pennan, the tiny fishing hamlet that was the location for Local Hero. Remember that film? I loved it. The phone box above was an integral part of the film.
A hairy drive down the steepest bendy road I think I've ever been on and we arrive at this little gem of a village.
Not sure if there are too many locals, hero or otherwise left in the place - possibly a lot of the cottages are now holiday homes
but there is this fishing boat in the act of being spruced up and some creels on the harbour, so
I guess some fishermen are still around.
The evening sees us tackling the coastal path to Portsoy. Not too strenuous, but deserving of an above average fish supper and a drink beside a real fire in the pub at the harbour before the walk home.
I don't even hear the noisy waves as I'm asleep as my head hits the pillow.
After another al fresco breakfast we're packed up and heading home via yet another fabric shop at Milton of Crathes and more plastic flashing.
So I've now got a sizable pile of fat quarters to add to the stash and sore knees from the scrambling on the cliffs. But we had a lovely wee break to set us up for the busy summer ahead and it's back to work tomorrow.
Why is it that every time we grab a couple of days off we get back to frantic phone messages from customers who've left it to the last minute to order a card. Today was no exception, but never fear - the wedding card, 80th birthday card, Pearl wedding picture, three graduation cards, driving test success card, presents for teachers and the other bits and pieces will be made, personalised and packed up tomorrow.
But since it's now 2am I'm calling it a day tonight (does that make sense?) and I'm off to bed with no noisy waves as a lullaby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails